Human volunteers are selected for each study based on the scientific question being addressed by that study. Selection/exclusion criteria directly related to the participation in PET imaging are provided below.
- All volunteers must be older than 19 year of age.
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. A pregnancy test is done on the day of each PET scan unless the woman is post-menopausal.
- Volunteers with a history of radiation therapy or exposure other high amounts of radiation.
- Volunteers with recurring metastasis.
- Volunteers with reported claustrophobia are excluded from the study. Some volunteers only show signs of claustrophobia once they are in the scanner. The study coordinator, nuclear medicine technologist and volunteer will decide whether the symptoms can be managed for the duration of the PET scan. Volunteers who will be unable to complete the full PET scan will be removed from the study prior to tracer injection.